Thursday, December 29, 2011

GINGERBREAD - PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE with a CIDER GLAZE

I hope that everyone had the most JOY filled Christmas!  I have to say that sharing this Christmas with our sweet family & friends, made it one of the most memorable ever.  I gave myself several good pep talks leading up to the Holidays this year on enjoying the season and taking it all in.  My goal was to be more present in the moment, to be grateful for all God has blessed me with, and enjoy those I so dearly love.  I tried to take focus away from the stress of it all and not get wrapped up in the minor details.  Though my "type A"  got the best of me a few times, all in all, I did much better than years in the past.  I have been finding much pleasure in simplicity lately.  Either I am getting older or wiser, not sure.  Maybe both.  My two favorite details of Christmas were being able to Skype my sister in Dallas, TX & my mom cooking us her first full on Paleo meal!  Which I must add was incredible!  She wanted everything to be "just right" and it was all that and then some!  She made a pork fried rice from the new "Well Fed" cookbook.

I made a new dessert that I had not tried out prior (risky business).  It just happened to be the best dessert I have ever had!  It was seriously good!  Which is why I must document and share it with you all.  I unfortunately didn't take any pictures of the baking process, just the end result.  My hope is to share it with you before the Holidays come to an end so you can make and enjoy it with your loved ones.

One disclaimer I have is that this upside down cake recipe is compliments of http://www.health-bent.com/
I just created the cider glaze which I felt would compliment it well.

GINGERBREAD - PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE with a CIDER GLAZE



Ingredients
  • ½ c butter or non-hydrogenated palm shortening, softened
  • ¼ c palm or coconut sugar
  • ½ c coconut flour
  • 5 eggs
  • ¼ c molasses
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t powdered ginger
  • 1 t ground allspice
  • ¼ t  salt
  • 2 ripe pears
  • ½ lemon, juiced
  • 1 T coconut sugar
  • 1 t cinnamon
Instructions
In a mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar.Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
Add in eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition, and then add the molasses.
Add in all dry ingredients/spices.
Cut the pears in half and core out with melon baller. Remove the stems and butts, and cut each half into 4 wedges. In a mixing bowl toss the pears with lemon, sugar and cinnamon.
Place the pear wedges in a starburst pattern around the bottom of your greased 9 inch pan. Pour in the batter and pat down with fingers to fill in all the holes and distribute evenly.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean.
To serve, wait until the cake has completely cooled. Run a knife all the way around the edge of the pan. Place a plate over the top of the pan, and holding the plate with your fingers and the cake pan with your thumbs, flip the cake pan over, and remove gently. The cake will now be right side up.  Allow cake to cool for 35-40 minutes before adding glaze.


CIDER GLAZE
1 cup unfiltered pear or apple cider
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
INSTRUCTIONS
stir together cider, coconut sugar, butter & cinnamon in a small sauce pan. Bring to boil, continuing for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

When cake is cool gently take a fork and make tiny inserts around top of cake.  This allows the cider glaze to disperse itself evenly.  Then pour glaze over the top of cake and let rest for an additional 30 minutes before serving.

ENJOY, Eat Well & Be Happy!


I will leave you with a few images of my Mom's Paleo Feast!










1 comment: