Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RUSTIC MEXICAN STEW

I don't know about you, but I could pretty much eat Mexican inspired foods for every meal and it would never get old.  Pre-Paleo days I could gorge myself on chips and salsa like no other.  In fact, I am pretty sure if I allowed myself to do it right now, the outcome would be the same.  I choose to not even find out because I know there is serious lack of control there!
This recipe came about because I wanted to find a way to incorporate 3 of my favorite Mexican recipes into 1. I was nervous the entire time that it wouldn't turn out. If it didn't turn out I would be disappointed that I didn't stick to Ol' Faithful.  I am very pleased to say, I am ecstatic with the results!  It is one of my favorite recipes to date!  It was soooo good that I made it again the very next day.  I wanted to be sure it tasted as awesome as I remembered and that I wasn't just hungry the first time around.  I am crazy like that.  The verdict....it's good, REAL GOOD!

MEXICAN SPICE BLEND
-2 Tbsp. chili powder
-1.5 Tbsp. cumin
-1.5 Tbsp. paprika
-1 Tbsp. onion powder
-1 Tbsp. garlic powder
-2 tsp. oregano
-.5 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
-.5 tsp. chipotle powder (if you don't like smokey, this is optional)

Mix spices and store in a glass spice jar.  Great seasoning for any Mexican dish.  Also great in scrambled eggs and on sweet potato fries.

RUSTIC MEXICAN STEW




INGREDIENTS
-4 to 5 lbs organic, bone in, chicken thighs
-4 Tbsp. Mexican Spice Blend (recipe above)
-1 rounded Tbsp. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
-2 yellow onions, diced
-4 large garlic cloves, minced
-1 entire jalapeno, diced  (if nervous about heat, remove seeds.  It really isn't very hot after cooking.)
-12 oz. Frontera Tomatillo Salsa (That is my favorite Salsa Verde but use what you like)
-1 can Muir Glen Organic, No Salt Added, Fire Roasted, Tomatoes
-1/2 cup chicken bone broth

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees
-Preheat dutch oven on med.-high with 1 rounded Tbsp. Coconut Oil and evenly distribute.
-Thoroughly rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel.
-Pre-season thighs with sea salt and cracked pepper
-In a large Ziploc bag, toss chicken thighs in 4 Tbsp. Mexican Spice Blend until well coated.
-Transfer chicken thighs to hot dutch oven, skin side down and brown.  Do this in batches, careful not to  crowd your pan or they won't get brown and crispy. Brown about 5-7 minutes per side.
-After browning, flip chicken over, skin side up, and add all remaining ingredients.
-Put lid on dutch oven and transfer to preheated oven
-Bake for 1.5hrs.
-After baking, remove from oven and let cool just enough to touch
-Remove bones from chicken and shred.  I remove any fatty parts of skin that may be remaining but shred the  crispy parts into the mixture for added depth and flavor.
-Mix shredded chicken into everything remaining in the dutch oven for a delicious stew!


We enjoyed ours over a bed of sauteed shredded cabbage and garnished with cilantro & avocado.  This would also be excellent over sweet potatoes, on a salad, or in a romaine lettuce leaf taco.

ENJOY!  Eat Well & Be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment