Monday, July 11, 2011

CARMENERE ROASTED BEEF BRISKET

Today being very warm and humid was not the ideal day to have additional heat from my 4 hour brisket.  Oh' well!  Who cares...I did it anyway!  Having a healthy meal and leftovers for the week far out ways the sweaty, stinky mess I am right now:)  I always try to do a roast of some sort once a week to set us up with healthful, quick leftovers for the remainder of the week.  The key to success in our household is ALWAYS having a plan. I am a planner and do not function well without.  It is unnecessary stress in my eyes. I will NEVER put myself in the predicament that I am so hungry, I just had to fill the gap with a bunch of crap!  Ask anyone who knows me...NEVER.  I make lists, menu's, and recipes.  For me this works.  I encourage you to take the time and find what works for you and your family.  The end result is well worth your time invested.  This is a wholesome meal your entire family will love....not too mention how good it leaves your house smelling!


CARMENERE ROASTED BEEF BRISKET


Ingredients


4 large garlic cloves, smashed

  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, needles striped from the stem and chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 (4 pound) beef brisket, first-cut
  • Coarsely ground black pepper
  • 4 large carrots, cut in 3-inch chunks
  • 3 celery stalks, cut in 3-inch chunks
  • 4 large red onions, halved
  • 2 cups dry red wine
  • 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, hand-crushed
  • 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 3 bay leaves





  • Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
On a cutting board, mash the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt together with the flat-side of a knife into a paste. Add the rosemary and continue to mash until incorporated. Put the garlic-rosemary paste in a small bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil; stir to combine.
Season both sides of the brisket with a fair amount of kosher salt and ground black pepper. Place a large roasting pan or dutch oven over medium-high flame and coat with the remaining olive oil. Put the brisket in the roasting pan and sear to form a nice brown crust on both sides. Lay the vegetables all around the brisket and pour the rosemary paste over the whole thing. Add the wine and tomatoes; toss in the parsley and bay leaves. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 3 to 4 hours, basting every 30 minutes with the pan juices, until the beef is fork tender.
Remove the brisket to a cutting board and let it rest for 15 minutes. Scoop the vegetables out of the roasting pan and onto a platter, cover to keep warm. Pour out some of the excess fat, and put the roasting pan with the pan juices on the stove over medium-high heat. Boil and stir for 5 minutes until the sauce is reduced by 1/2. 
I served my brisket and veggies with a side of cauliflower mash.  
ENJOY!  Eat Well & Be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment