Monday, July 25, 2011

Roast Chicken, Rotisserie-Style with Cucumber Salad and Roasted Beets

Today I am paying dearly for a poor choice I made yesterday:(  Yes, I too have moments of weakness.  If you remember a post back, I admitted to my love affair with ice cream.  I rarely ever treat myself too it because I find myself never being satisfied.  I could turn that occasional treat into a daily dosing!  Darn it!  So all in all, it's best to just stay the heck away.  Well, yesterday's events went something like this....
Larry (my husband):  Can we run to Kelley's Creamery and get an ice cream treat?
Me:  No, we don't need it.  (See I started out strong.)
Larry:  Come on we never treat ourselves to ice cream!  We worked out all week so this can be our reward...
Me: Hmmmm?
Larry:  You know you want some.
Me:  No, I will just ride along.  (secretly wanting it but still trying hard to not give in to the temptation.)
Larry:  You can just get a single scoop...that's not so bad.
Me:  Ok fine...let's do it!  Disgusted with myself and happy all at the same time, I downed the single scoop of Leo's Butter Pecan.

The short 10 minutes it took me to eat it was certainly not worth the sugar hang over today.  Yes, delicious but  NOT worth it!  You see, when you follow a strict Paleo regimen, one of the greatest gifts is being able to read your body to a fault.  I am very in tune with what I need, what works and doesn't work.  The sugar/dairy combo was disaster from the word go.  Here is what happens when I "treat" myself.  I am a anxious, crabby, sleepless, bloated mess!  In fact, I pretty much can't stand being in my own skin post "treat."  Maybe the average person wouldn't notice these symptoms or the correlation between food and behavior.  BUT....trust me on this one, if you pull  those not so good choices out of your diet, you will notice quickly what you need/don't need.
I would like to challenge you to be aware of the food and behavior correlation.  There IS a reason why we live in a society filled with depressed, anxious, hyperactive, low energy, trouble concentrating, illness, suppressed immune systems individuals.  Look deeply.  In my eyes, there is a direct response to food and behavior.  I see so many of these symptoms in young children and think...if there diets were tweaked.... things would look very different.  Remove Sugar, Dairy, Grains, all Processed Foods and you are looking at a whole new shiny, happy individual!
Enough with my rant and onward to today's dinner.


ROAST CHICKEN, ROTISSERIE-STYLE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Large pinch coarse sea salt
  • 1 whole roasting chicken (3–4 lb; preferably organic), neck and giblets discarded
  • Twine

PREPARATION

  1. Heat oven to 400°. Mix butter, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and salt in a bowl. Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry. Insert fingers between skin and breast to separate the two. Rub seasoned butter over chicken and under skin. Tuck wings underneath bird and tie together with a piece of twine. Tie legs together with another piece of twine. Place chicken on its side in a heavy roasting pan and roast 25 minutes. Turn onto its other side and sprinkle with several tbsp water; roast 25 minutes more. Turn chicken on its back; roast 10 minutes more. Turn on its breast; roast until skin is crispy and chicken is golden brown, 10 minutes more. Remove from pan and let rest, breast side down, 15 minutes, before carving (remove skin).


CUCUMBER SALAD
INGREDIENTS
2 normal sized cucumbers
1 red onion
1/2 cup Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. raw honey
2 garlic scapes
2 tblsp. chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper




PREPARATION
Slice cucumbers, onion, and garlic scapes very fine. (If your knife skills are strong, do by hand, otherwise use a mandoline slicer for consistency.)  Mix other ingredients in a bowl.  Pour over cucumbers, onion, and garlic scapes.  Refrigerate for at least and hour or up to 24hrs.




ROASTED BEETS
INGREDIENTS
4-5 medium sized beets (Any variety)
1.5 tblsp. olive oil
sea salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste


PREPARATION
Wash, peel, and cube beets.  Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast on 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes.  




ENJOY!  Eat Well & Be Happy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment